Saturday, November 22, 2014

1950s Paris Fashion - A Taste of the Orient

The Oriental influence inspired by the Chinese Opera's first visit to Paris in 1955 resulted in couture designs like this one by Dior. The evening sheath dress of pearly satin  is topped with a richly jeweled and embroidered caftan coat with split sides. This brilliant brocade definitely results in a rich, exotic look.


It seems as though they tried to give her eyes an Oriental look with the use of makeup. What do you think? Seen in Women's Home Companion, October 1955 edition.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is some seriously luxurious fabric! I'd love to see what the dress underneath looked like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I'm surprised they didn't show the dress underneath, too. I find it interesting that they added a tiara as the "hat" for the ensemble. I guess that nothing less than total glam would go with this amazing ensemble.

      Delete