Monday, May 12, 2014

Home Sewing Tips from the 1920s - Trimming a Frock and Coat with Tucks

I love garments with tucks and this tip from Ruth Wyeth Spears and the 1920s delivers tucks in spades! Ruth illustrates a frock and coat, both with one-inch wide tucks. She describes this popular form of trimming as being especially chic on solid-color georgette and chiffon fabric. She also describes the technique of using a gauge (note the typo in the article - the first I've found! - where "gauge" is replaced with "gauze" ;)) to aid in making the tucks.


Doesn't the model rather remind you of Lady Mary from Downton Abbey? Or maybe her mother?

3 comments:

  1. Kathleen - check out my latest blog post, I'm doing a Miss Fisher/20's dress project inspired by YOU and YOUR posts!
    http://loransworld.com/
    People from all over the world are going to play along, I'll let you know when I've posted. I'm kicking off this journey with a literal journey to Australia to see the Miss Fisher costume exhibit happening in Sydney : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! How completely fabulous! I will be following your blog to see how the sewing progresses. I can't wait to see what you sew first. And a trip to Australia? Total excitement!!

      Delete
  2. This would be a perfect Miss Fisher outfit. Reminds me of the outfit in the episode at the Radio Station where Jack is "undercover". Swoon!

    ReplyDelete