Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Vintage Perspective on "The One Hundred": The A-Line Dress

I recently picked up the book "The One Hundred" by Nina Garcia, a guide to the pieces every stylish woman should own. I am inspired - not to necessarily build out my wardrobe to include the "basic" 100 - but rather, to feature patterns for as many of the basic items that Nina Garcia lists in her book. Obviously I'll be challenged on some of the non-clothing accessories, but I'm going to give it a try!

We begin with the first chapter, the A-Line Dress. I love what the author says, because it is true - no matter what, the A-line dress always flatters your figure. It's no-fuss, great to accessorize, and was THE iconic dress of the late 60s and 70s. It released women from the constraints of the New Look's hour-glass figure, and went hand-in-hand with the women's movement for equality.

In the coming week or two I'll be posting not only fab A-line dress patterns, but also some A-line fitting patterns from Vogue and Butterick. Here's a sneak peak of A-line dresses I'll be posting this week!

Vogue's Basic Fitting A-Line Shell
Simplicity A-line Dress and Cape
Simplicity A-line Dress and Tunic with Flared Pants
Butterick Mini A-line Dress and Tunic with Flared Pants
Vogue Basic Design A-line Dress with Empire Waist in Two Lengths

No comments:

Post a Comment